Sunday, July 31, 2011

A New Beginning

"It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got." -Sheryl Crow

I think this past weekend was one of the hottest on record, and of course, it was moving weekend.  The streets of Charleston were flooded with Uhauls and other moving trucks.  Anyone who visited this beloved and historical city this weekend got a big ole' surprise.  There was no parking or room to walk around because of all the furniture and belongings being moved into cars and into new homes. But for me, it was the start of a new beginning...and adventure to my first place.

After one year of no cable, no car, no walking alone after dark and rodents wanting to be pets of the apartment complex, it was finally time to leave King Street.  To say that I am happy is an understatement!

What a wonderfully humbling past year it has been.  With lacking certain "necessities" that I had been used to having my whole life, I still had more than most people walking around Charleston have ever had in their life.  Right outside my apartment were people sleeping in Marion Square.  How could I complain about not watching HGTV on my own personal television or having to go to a restaurant to watch the Women's World Cup?

With my last semester of college ahead of me, and a great job that I am thankful for, I have a whole new appreciation for the little things that I once took for granted.  I will enjoy having a parking spot (that is FREE),  paying for my own cable, and having a place to call home that is safe.  I am full of thanks to the Big Guy Upstairs for teaching me some extremely important lessons over this past year.

Now, to give some much needed credit to that little apartment...I was blessed with a great roommate and was about 10 feet from campus.  That's about it! :)

My challenge for you all this week (especially if you moved as well) is to be thankful for what you have and enjoy it!  As for me, I am going to enjoy a nice long nap and ibprofin after the past two days of hauling furniture!  I hope you all have an incredible first week of August!! Until next week...



Remember: Love what you have! 

No comments:

Post a Comment