Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mischief Managed

What do I do with my life now?...

This week was filled with so many mixed emotions for me.  As I'm sure many of you know, the final Harry Potter film premiered this week (and it was pretty epic I must admit).  In 5th grade, Mr. Gray read our class a book that would become a part of my life for the next 12 years.  Who knew that this one man would introduce me to a story that would capture my attention for all future book reports, long trips and any spare time to myself.  As excited as I was to finally see if my imagination had been correct while reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I felt as if it was the end of something.  More than just the end of an era, but the end of my childhood.  Most people refer to me as a "35 year old" who gets more middle aged every year, but J.K. Rowling wrote books that kept me young at heart.

Even though I will always have the books and the DVDs, a part of me is pretty sad that there will be no more surprises from Harry, Hermione and my beloved Ron :) But, I have a feeling that Ms. Rowling will have something else up her creative sleeve for all of us Potter fans! Until then..."Mischief Managed".

Now, I promise that this blog post will not be a complete debbie-downer, because as you all know, this is a happy blog!  I just had to get that off my chest! 

Okay, now this part my seem sad, but I do have a happy thought to go along with it.  I am beyond bummed that the Women's US Soccer team lost the World Cup Final today.  I just knew we were going to win, and America would finally start believing in US Soccer...down the tube.  BUT, I must say, there is a much bigger lesson to be learned from today's game.  Not only did we give up way too many opportunities, but this match showed how quickly we all forget what really matters...

  • Although we have dealt with some terrible natural disasters in our country, we have not had a tsunami rip our country apart.
  • Even though we can find many things to complain about (the economy, politics, social issues, etc) at least we have the luxury of having our homes intact and our loved ones with us for the most part.
  • Even though I WOULD HAVE LOVED for the US to finally have a soccer victory, Japan's victory meant so much more to their nation that it could have ever mattered to us.
You see, it's okay to be sad and disappointed that we lost after such a Cinderella-like story of a World Cup, but there was such a greater victory of positive news to cheer about in another country that was desperate for anything uplifting.  

I am proud to see some of the messages from Americans on Facebook displaying their love and support for Japan.  I know that each of these individuals is sad about the loss, but their response shows integrity and respect.  I am proud to be an American.  I am proud of our Women's US Soccer team!

"Look at people through lenses of love; see them from My perspective.  This is how you walk in the light and it pleases Me."  -Jesus Calling

I hope that each of you has such a wonderful week!  You never know what is planned for you this week, so get excited about the possibilities ahead of you!  Until then..




No comments:

Post a Comment