Sunday, July 24, 2011

Surprise!

"When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate.  And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow." -Shanna Niequist

Hello wonderful blogging world! I hope you have had an awesome week.  I thought my week was much less than awesome...until Friday that is.  Let's just say that this past week was one of those weeks that you are thankful for because they make you appreciate the good weeks.  You know what I mean?

This past week was filled with all sorts of craziness.  Let me just give you a quick example of what was experienced this eventful week:  too many people getting sick at work (including myself), testy attitudes, annoying insurance people that continue to put me on hold for at least 45 minutes, walking to work in 110+ heat index while still trying to look clean/professional, and going through my groceries much quicker than I should have...

I know that all of these things are quite petty.  For some reason, when all of them bunched together in attack mode this week, I fell to them and had one of the greatest pity-parties of all time.  I was pretty lame.  Little did I realize, until recently that is, that this is NOTHING in comparison to what other people have to face every day.  My "hard" week would be a type of heaven for others.  Who am I to complain?!  I have more than I could ever be thankful enough for!!

A few months ago, my bike was stolen from inside my apartment complex.  As bummed as I was, I just figured I was officially initiated into Charleston.  It was sort of a right of passage as a Charlestonian.  It really made me wish I had enough money to afford parking so I could have my car back.  Little did I know that my bike was stolen so that God could teach me a valuable lesson this week.  On Thursday, I met a youth pastor at the chiropractic office I work at.  We had a pleasant conversation talking about Hannah's Hope Ministries. It's so encouraging when God places so many fantastic people in that office who want to talk about their faith.  Well, to make a long story short, on Friday, I get a phone call at work telling me to come outside because the youth pastor has something for me...

A bike.  Are you kidding me?? What in the world have I done to deserve a bike from a new acquaintance?  He said that the Good Lord put it on his heart to give me means of transportation besides walking.  Technically, he does not want any credit for what he did and asked me not to tell anyone. Too bad, buddy! I am very thankful for what you did and I want you to take some much-needed credit!    He did good, too.  Not one splash of pink on the bike.  It's medium sized with white and light blue paint.  Winning!

Why do we complain so much when instead we should be thankful for what we do have?  This is something that I am going to try and make a part of my daily tasks, but I know will be a daily challenge.  Take time this week to really open your eyes.  Open them wide and see all the good things in your life.  We all have a little bad.  But, without those not-so-great obstacles in our lives, we wouldn't be able to recognize all the good.

Smile! Life is good :)



No comments:

Post a Comment