Sunday, September 4, 2011

Politics in church?...

"We're not righteous because of what we do.  We are righteous because of WHOSE we are!" -Tim Scott

Happy almost Labor Day!  I rocked my white shoes for the last time this year today...see ya next Easter!  Anyways...today I experienced something different than I normally do on a Sunday.  A mix of church and state.  Representative, Tim Scott came and spoke at Seacoast this morning, and he did the most amazing job!  Can I just say, that he might be one of the funniest people ever, simply because he gave a message that allowed everyone to laugh at politics while growing in understanding it.  As for me, I used to be a political science major, but I truly hate this time of political season of elections...all the bashing and terrible commercials make me want to gag..so I promise, this is NOT a campaign blog post...

As I'm sure each and every one of you know, our country is in a bit of trouble financially.  But, not just that, our country seems to be going through all kinds of darkness and difficulty.  But today, Mr. Scott brought up a great point, that seemed so simple, that it gave me such hope for our beloved country.  Have you noticed that throughout history, the United States has faced A LOT (a few world wars, slavery, a depression, etc) and yet, we have overcome them all.  God has protected our country throughout history.  Who is to say that He will not continue to take care of us now?  A good way to see how God works is to look at the past.

We have gotten a little off track, haven't we?  We are letting pride and unimportant things take over.  We have forgotten how to humble ourselves and remember what it is like to work hard for something.  I agree with what Mr. Scott said this morning...it will not be government that saves us, it will be our individual efforts along with the church.  The government is not meant to be where we tithe; that's the church's job.  The church can do more with our money effectively than the government ever could.  Individually, if we took the time to serve instead of try to lead, we could make such an immense change in this world.  "In order to be a leader, you must first be a servant." 


My challenge for us all this week, is for us to take a step back and look at how we are spending our lives and spending our money.  Where are you called to serve?  The beautiful thing is that we are all blessed with gifts and talents for specific areas that serve for the greater good!  Let us humble ourselves so that the Good Lord can pick us up and use us to redeem our country and then bring light into this dark world!

On another happy note...


...Pumpkin Spice is coming to Starbucks! AKA fall is almost here...like I said, Happy :)


1 comment: